|Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answers to questions about our Progress OpenEdge Database Administration Services. If you have additional questions, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• What are the requirements associated with DBAppraise's Remote DBA service?
• What is the process for deploying the DBAppraise service and how long does it take until DBAppraise is on the job?
• What types of remote connectivity does DBAppraise require?
• How do you perform these remote services without compromising security?
• What versions of Progress and OpenEdge are supported by DBAppraise?
• Will DBAppraise interfere with my application software?
• Will I have a single point of contact or will I be passed from person to person?
• What if my database fails and I need help outside my coverage window?
• How do I get in touch with DBAppraise if I have an emergency?
• What does DBAppraise's Remote DBA service monitor?
• Does DBAppraise's Remote DBA service offer any Proactive Maintenance?
• What does the DBAppraise operations portal interface look like?
• What is the relationship between DBAppraise and White Star Software?
What are the requirements associated with DBAppraise's Remote DBA service?
In order to implement our remote DBA service, DBAppraise requires:
• DBA-level privileges for all databases you want us to monitor.
• Appropriate operating system privileges (for Unix, this can be non-root level privilege; for Windows, this means Administrator privilege on your server machine.)
• Your database server must be able to send out Internet email.
• We must be allowed to install and update the DBAppraise monitoring toolkit.
• For DBAppraise Plus plan or second-level support services, we must have secure remote access to the systems you want us to support.
We will provide a customer site review to assist you with meeting these requirements.
What is the process for deploying the Remote DBA service and how long does it take until DBAppraise is on the job?
DBAppraise remote database administration can begin to provide database support within 24 hours. Full installation takes 3 to 5 days. Calibration of the baseline metrics takes 10 to 30 days, depending upon your business cycle.
What types of remote connectivity does DBAppraise require?
We support all common remote connectivity options. DBAppraise customers currently use:
• Cisco VPN
How do you perform remote services without compromising security?
Our monitoring tools and remote access policies are designed to fit your system security and firewall policies. There is no requirement to expose your database for remote access, or to otherwise compromise security. The DBAppraise monitoring agents can be run from restricted operating system accounts and they connect to your database with minimal privileges. The agents only read database performance metrics—they do not access any application data. Performance data is collated and transmitted from your server to the DBAppraise Database Operations Portal via an email that is initiated on your server. You are in complete control so that your system integrity is maintained at all times.
• The connections that we use to enable remote work are always encrypted.
• No customer data is accessed. Only performance metrics.
• Our source code is provided - you can examine it to ensure that nothing improper is taking place.
What versions of Progress and OpenEdge are supported by DBAppraise?
DBAppraise supports Progress Versions 8 and 9 and OpenEdge Release 10. (Progress Software Corporation rebranded the "Progress" database and development tools "OpenEdge" with the introduction of Release 10.)
Will DBAppraise interfere with my application software?
DBAppraise is a non-intrusive agent that does not modify your application data or code in any way. DBAppraise reads the Progress OpenEdge Virtual System Tables that are present in every Version 8 (and later) database to obtain data about your system status and performance.
Will I have a single point of contact or will I be passed from person to person?
This is a key advantage to working with DBAppraise. Each of our customers is assigned a primary support contact. If your account requires help at 3am or 3pm, your primary contact is always first in line to respond. If your primary contact is unavailable, your backup contact steps right in to assist you. We never substitute inexperienced staff for the experts that you deserve.
What if my database fails and I need help outside my coverage window?
You can declare an emergency and request Remote DBA services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We are always here when you need us.
How do I get in touch with DBAppraise if I have an emergency?
Send us an email. We provide you with a keyword to send to us that signals your need for immediate assistance. Once our system receives that keyword, your primary contact—and the entire DBAppraise team—are paged with your distress request. You can also activate an emergency request through our phone system. Click here for our contact information.
What is the relationship between DBAppraise and White Star Software?
DBAppraise, LLC and White Star Software, LLC are sister companies. DBAppraise provides Progress OpenEdge Remote Database Administration services while White Star Software provides more general Progress OpenEdge database performance tuning, architecture, programming, and training services.